The Widest Treatment Range for Treating Myopia
The Visian ICL (Implantable Collamer® Lens) is a state-of-the-art refractive error solution that is ideal for anyone who has the need or desire for quality vision correction. Produced by STAAR® Surgical Company, the phakic intraocular lens (IOL) has numerous advantages including its correction of the widest range of myopia.
- Are between the ages of 21 and 45.
- Are nearsighted, including those with mild, moderate, and severe myopia (-3D to -20D prescription) with minor or no occurrence of astigmatism. The Visian Toric ICL™, capable of correcting myopia and astigmatism, is currently under review with the U.S. FDA. The Visian TICL™ is currently available outside of the United States.
- Have proper anterior chamber depth and acceptable eye tissue cell density (this will be determined by an ophthalmologist after a comprehensive eye exam).
- Have not had a change in their eyeglass prescription of more than 0.5D in a year.
- Are not currently pregnant.
- Have no known allergies to medications used during refractive surgery or no other contraindications.
- Have dry eyes, severe myopia, or a thin cornea (non-LASIK candidate).
- High quality of vision – The Visian ICL not only improves your visual acuity, but it also enhances your quality of vision by producing sharp vision.
- Wide treatment range – In comparison to other refractive procedures, the Visian ICL offers the widest treatment range for treating myopia (-3.0 diopters to -20.0 diopters).
- Foldable – Because the Visian ICL is foldable, a small incision is required during the procedure. This feature makes the procedure efficient (no sutures needed) and improves healing time.
- Collamer composition – Collamer is made from collagen, which is a substance that naturally occurs in the body. This makes the lens highly biocompatible with the eye.
- Proven track record – Implanted in over 55,000 eyes worldwide, the safety and amazing improvement in vision quality of the Visian ICL has been proven over the last 15 years.
Since glasses and contacts can easily be misplaced and cannot be worn during every moment of the day, many people with nearsightedness seek more advanced solutions for correcting myopia. Refractive surgery, including ICL vision correction, has become a viable option for correcting nearsightedness.
During a brief outpatient procedure, the Visian ICL can be implanted into a myopic eye to correct nearsightedness. The phakic IOL is often referred to as an implantable contact lens because, like a contact lens, it works with the eye’s natural lens to correct a refractive error. Unlike a contact lens, the Visian ICL is surgically placed in the eye and does not have to be removed or cleaned at the end of the day. The Visian ICL also won’t slip out of place like a traditional contact lens.
When asked, most people say that they would most like to get rid of their contact lenses and glasses because they feel limited in the pursuit of certain activities. Whether frustrated by the hassle of having to carry prescription sunglasses for use in outdoor activities or an inability to see clearly underwater, people who use glasses and contacts often refrain from enjoying their lives to the fullest. Most patients who have received the lens implantation are pleased with how streamlined their everyday activities have become without the need for glasses and contacts.